The early 1900’s was a time of mechanical innovation for the country and the Puget Sound region. By 1905 hydroelectric power started serving the Seattle area. By 1914, Ford Motor Company had opened a factory in South Lake Union to assemble the Model T. By 1922, the Naval Air Station Seattle at Sandpoint kicked off construction. On the Eastside, David Burr was building the tele-com network.
David Burr arrived in Kirkland a few years before the Great War seeking opportunity. He purchased numerous plots of land within the intersections of Waverly Way, 10th Ave West, and 5th St W. By 1914 he had established the Kirkland Laundry and ventured into a new technology with the purchase of a telephone company that had all of 20 customers.
The Kirkland home at 508 8th Ave West was built for David and Gladys Burr in 1920. All four of the Burr children were born before the Great Depression and were raised in the home. After David Burr passed in 1952, Gladys lived comfortably maintaining her garden and original home until 1985. Third generation Burrs purchased the home and adapted to the earlier standards of design. They modernized electrical and mechanical systems and rebuilt the carriage house and roofs. They also enjoyed countless spectacular sunsets and created memorable events on this special site.